Monday, May 01, 2006

New Title Bar: Made using GIMP

I hope you guys like the new title bar for Scratch That Itch.

I was learning GIMP for the past few hours in order to create the title.

Mama Sarah was laughing at the title picture, why on earth is it eggs? (She used the Malaysian word for "eggs"). To be perfectly honest, I chose that picture while experimenting with GIMP. But I got the effect I desired, so I stuck with it. I'll let the dust settle, and if I don't like the picture after several weeks, I'll try and do another one. For now, consider the eggs "suitable" for itchiness.

But goodness, it was so scary playing around with the blog's main template. I didn't want the same tragedy that happened to Dyanna to happen here, so I took the care of saving a copy of the html code as a text file. After much tinkering with the codes, I finally got what I have above. Much of it was trial and error.

Mental note for future reference (just incase I want to redo the title next time):
  • Use Gaussian blur on the image
  • Make a smaller title, the current one is slightly too big
  • Use a limited colour pallete
I've actually learnt abit more about GIMP tonight, including:
  • How to do a graduated tint
  • How to resize, arrange and blend layers
  • How to do a vignette effect
  • How to use the smart scissors tool
  • How to alpha blend layers
OK, goodnight readers. Anyone who wants to suggest anything related to photomanipulation, suitable pictures or html codes are more than welcome ..zzZ

4 comments:

dyanna said...

haiya.. sempat lagi nak cerita 'accident' blog orang...

I did troubleshoot the problem by going through the codes and I found out later that the triangular braces "<>" (that calls up the entry) would change to this string of symbols "$@*&" (something like that la) if you copy and paste the codes into Micro*soft W0rd and screw up the codes.. I didn't realise that when I pasted the codes back into Blogger's template. So, problem solved. (I feel like a software engineer now).

Nice banner... but like MS said..'why eggs?' not related to anything pun.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. maybe the darker title should be on top.

ello Ichi.. Halfway to the plant I got a call from my father.. my drand uncle passed away in dungun.. (Al-Fatihah) .. so I had to turn back and go there. After paying my respects I am now in the plant. I will be going back there before asar as they are planning to bury him then.

Regards

Anonymous said...

i've just realised that the blog looks absolutely horrendous in Internet Explorer. Ive also pasted back the old code, tengok2 code dulu pun nampak teruk in explorer (the sidebar gets pushed right to the bottom). it looks absolutely fine in firefox. hmmm, sapa2 pandai nak suggest a way to overcome that tak?

I've looked at other people's blog namely KKL, and rupa2nya it's not just my blog, ramai yang sama.

sorry to quote what happened to yr blog again Di, but it's something I dont want repeated on mine! so it's actually a good thing it happened, boleh jadi contoh to the rest of us (e.g. im saving the html codes regularly now, just in case)

yup the eggs are not related to anything, i hope.

OK
i'm sorry again for your loss,that's 2 in a relatively short period of time. hope you are taking it well. teruknya still kena kerja & juggle back an forth. Innalillah ...

dyanna said...

mynn, the reason why your side bar is being pushed down to the bottom of your browser is because the pictures that you post in your blog content is bigger than the default width of posting area. The area will try to adjust its width by expanding to fit the picture in it, causing the whole are to be very packed. So the sidebar is automatically shifted down to make way for the larger item.

Solution: Try scaling down the size of your pictures.

ok: Innalillah.. I'm sorry for your loss.