Saturday, May 13, 2006

Google Desktop 4 vs Konfabulator


I was a BIG fan of Google desktop, the free application from Google allowing you to search your computer for not only files but also emails, web history and chat history (it was very convenient for my cluttered hard disk). However, due to my 200GB data loss due to the Linux installation incident I no longer use Google desktop.

You could imagine how happy I was to hear that Google Desktop 4 was recently released. Features:
  • ability to quickly search your computer for files (Google Desktop indexes your files in the background and the search process is really quick, better than the search engine built into WinXP).
  • View news, photos and more
  • The new feature is: Add Google Gadgets to customise your desktop.
  • Create and share your own gadgets.
It's the last feature I'm quite excited about as I am also a REALLY BIG FAN OF Konfabulator (now known as Yahoo Widget Engine). Konfabulator is also a (now) free software where you can download and install "widgets", cute little mini applications to add functionality to your desktop: gadgets like a calendar, clock, rss feeds and (my favourite) a network monitor. Konfabulator looks like this:

Both are recommended downloads.
Google Desktop
Konfabulator (I refuse to call it the "Yahoo Widget Engine"!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fellow techno geek! (pardon the expression, I couldn't think of any other word). That's cool :)

Found your site to be very informative with the tools and gadgets. Oh, and not forgetting the PS3 updates *wink*

mynn said...

haha, always nice to see a fellow tech & Playstation fan.

mynn said...

ps. like you, i also like anime (i read yr one piece joke)

Mama Pongkey said...

Widget? Isn't tht a racing dog or something? Eh tu wippet.

Anonymous said...

hehe..mynn, thanks..dah lama I cari menda alah ni..baru I tahu kat mana nak dapat. just install Konfabulator..cool hehe

mynn said...

No problems Li, always a pleasure recommending useful things.

KKL .. I wonder why widgets as well? but from widgets i get the impression = small gadgets = wee gadgets = widgets. They was entirely made up but plausible! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Coats & clark yarn spyware remover software Word game pda Renault r19 car messagepro answering service difference between phentermine tenuate dospan

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » » »