Friday, May 05, 2006

Best day at work, ever!

Out of the seven months I've been here, today was probably the best day at work ever. It started well, as I woke up this morning feeling extremely refreshed from sleep the night before. Everyone was in high spirits today, probably because it was friday and therefore almost the weekend and the day was especially warm and sunny.

As usual at lunch, all of us juniors gathered for our customary fish & chips in the canteen. Sometimes, I feel slightly sick sitting with my friends as our conversations always tended to drift towards talking about disgusting subjects. Today our initially constructive conversation on daily fibre intake progressively shifted to topics on bowel movements, constipation and diarrhoea! What an appropriate topic to talk about at lunch. Medics can be so disgusting sometimes. What's worse is that their jokes are again at my expense!! Today even the junior PRHOs are cheekily teasing me, the nerve! However, my new tactics are 1. to always rebutt and 2. to always counter attack. 3. never stay quiet and just smile. I thought I did well today.

Alas, my friends at the lunch table broke into laughter and amusement when I, to describe about how a colleague looks depressed lately, said a word that to me meant "vigour" or "spirit" but according to my friends that particular word means "a certain body fluid". My sentence was, "hmmm our friend appears to have lost his -word here(*)-". To my horror my friends all suddenly roared in laughter that shook the coffee room! (I was absolutely horrified to learn its other meaning).

The highlight of the day was going to the garden outside of the hospital after lunch. The expansive garden was a perfect contrast to our enclosed wards and everyone felt their vigour replenished by the fresh air and bright sun. It's a pity we didn't bring icecream (our registrar suggested strawberries, scones and tea for next time). Everyone was in high spirits and it made me appreciate my team even more. Our team is the best! Saikou da yo.

Also, all my friends has been especially supportive towards me today. Recently I have been looking for people willing to swap my oncalls for study leave. Today, two colleagues from neighbouring wards kindly agreed. I have been trying for months and that after long last finding two people, it just made my day. Seriously I owe you guys Gibu and Fadzai! Thanks.
Notes
  1. If you click the link, please refer to definition number one. It clearly says "spirit". Synonymous with vigour, mojo, energy, psyche, ardour and vitality. Which was obviously what I meant in my sentence!
  2. Thank goodness I didn't use the word infront of a consultant!! Moral of the story is: before you attempt to use a "bombastic" word, make sure you know the meaning 100%, including the colloquials.
  3. Unfortunately I cannot share all of my interesting stories today;)
  4. All pictures were again captured using my cameraphone. Albeit low quality, I think it's so cool that modern phones equates to having a camera (and videocam) handy, always.
  5. Picture top: My colleagues in the wards & coffee room. Please note that in the picture there are absolutely no pictures of our patients. I have GIMPed (read: doctored, photomanipulated, erased) presence of patients.
  6. Picture below:
  • Left: the garden outside of the hospital, which is actually the helicopter landing pad:)
  • Middle: Our hospital, posterior section.
  • Right: My high spirited friends.

No comments: