Saturday, May 27, 2006

Mini Review of X-Men 3: The Last Stand


I went to see X-Men 3 last night at the cinema, alone;(

I haven't been following the hype or previews of this movie. I have seen and enjoyed the previous two X-Men movies and I follow the X-Men cartoons. I haven't really read many of the comic books.

Simply put, if you are a fan of X-Men, and enjoyed the last two movies -- just go out and watch this movie now. It's good. Remember, I haven't been following any previews of the movie so I came in not expecting anything at all. There are complete shockers in the movie, and I found myself having to pick up my jaw from the floor many times (like Ikelah say, be careful not to dislocate your TM joint <- sorry medic joke).

I also haven't been to the movies for a LONG time and the last movie I saw was King Kong. I was absolutely impressed seeing the advancements in computer generated graphics. Computer Generated Imagery (CGI) nowadays just look so real, and it's more and more difficult to distinguish between real images and CGI. The special effects in the movie is of course spectacular. The obligatory explosions, special effects, fire effects (which are apparently difficult to be done in CGI), the bridge (see the movie to understand) and the stunt doubles are all done nicely.

Eventhough X-Men 3 is an action movie, I thought at times it managed to induce the viewer(s) to emote. Let me just say that throughout watching the movie I was brought along a roller coaster of emotions from lows to mid-highs.

I just hate spoilers so I'll spare you guys from the plot.

Please be aware that most reviewers out there rate this movie quite poorly, as they claim the current director (the same director who helmed Rush Hour 2) is not up to scratch with Brian Singer. That's arguably true but if you're a fan of the X-Men movies, do yourself a favour: ignore the reviews and just watch the movie. It's entertaining, action-packed and it continues the story from the previous 2 movies really well.

Rating: 4/5

Random Notes:
  1. My favourite character in the movie is Kitty Pryde (she's so tiny yet they put her against Juggernaut!)
  2. Storm is done better than any of the previous movie, her hairstyle is very nice too.
  3. Although I was awed by Phoenix's powers, I hate the way her character is portrayed in the movie. They could have made her prettier (instead of literally hideous), I don't like her costume which is very goth and she rarely emotes. She could have been envisioned much better - I'm disappointed. Her powers though, that's a different story ...
  4. You can find an alternative review by Roger Ebert here.
  5. Not featuring Psylocke prominently makes me really angry. What a wasted opportunity!

8 comments:

pycnogenol said...

Now I really have to go and watch the movie myself, and ALL ALONE too. (that's the only way to truly enjoy a movie, right?)

Unfortunately I'll be going to Langkawi in a few hours time,and will only be back end of next week, so kena tunggu balik nanti.

I've not read your entry just yet, for I dont want my judgement and assessment of X-Men be affected or influenced by what you've written.

Terjeling juga your rating of 4/5. So, all the more reason that I have to see for myself. ;))

Jamil said...

WHERE'S GAMBIT??!! FOR GOODNESS SAKE, I FOLLOW X-MEN ONLY BECAUSE OF GAMBIT!!!!

That said, I haven't watched any of the movies yet.

mynn said...

is there anyone else laughing at the subtext "it's all about control" ???
LOL+++++

pycnogenol
good for you, i never read reviews or people's opinions on movies i want to see .. but hope you'll agree it's an enjoyable movie after you see it. hahaha kena tengok sorang jgk ke? anyway enjoy your trip to langkawi, take lots of pictures

hiyoshi
true ... mana gambit for goodness' sake! he's one of the most revered characters in xmen.

what? tak tengok lagi any of the xmen movies ......... do you watch any movies then?

Anonymous said...

i must agree... went in without expectations too & must say the effects are awesome! cool movie to watch indeed.
but yeah... no gambit?!? =(

mynn said...

xitayx
I find it amazing an "XX" going to the cinema and admiring special effects :) but cool, someone agrees with my review!

originally i wanted to do a "reader poll" to see what people who've seen the movie thinks of it.

Anonymous said...

Salaam..
X-Men III is still not in my 'to watch' list. I enjoyed X-Men II though. Hated the first movie. I may see it a bit later...

mynn said...

i didnt like the first movie much too, actually. i liked xmen starting the second movie. the effects and maturity of the story has improved much from the 1st movie, i think.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »