Saturday, April 01, 2006

Retrospective: One Month of Itching

The first week of April marks one month of my blogging activities. I started wanting to blog seeing how much fun Nisak had constructing her Sarah & Amar, but what really tipped me over was definitely reading Kenakelayan’s blog (ergo: Kenakelayan is bad influence!)

Originally, I set out to blog about things I’m interested in; stuff that I thought my friends Orang-Kilang, Kenakelayan and Uncle & Auntie De would also like to read about. I envisioned my blog as a nexus for interchange of ideas among my (admittedly very, very, very, very, verrrrry small (one friend for every “very”)) circle of friends. However, I was surprised to find that itchiness seemed to carry a life of its own and went in directions I initially hadn’t planned. For example, I’d never planned for my site’s theme to be so Japanese, but I guess, my most prominent interest is Japan and that unintentionally showed in my postings.

I also did not plan to write stories of myself. I wanted to distance myself from the blog and refrain from e.g. putting up personal stuff and pictures. But since Nisak freely posts about me in her blog, that plan went up in the air. Do you guys notice she never puts up pictures of herself?
Also against planning to keep distant, is when I had written my first anime review and found that there is nothing to differentiate that review to THOUSANDS others out there. What could make a difference, however, is if I break the rule of having to be objective in reviews and to be more subjective and personal. I learnt this from reading Ayumi-san’s manga review in Mirkwood. Ayumi-san was being herself that it made the review much more interesting to read (hoping for more reviews in Mirkwood in the future!).

I really thought blogging would be a useless activity. No way in the world would ANYONE be interested in reading ramblings of a random stranger. That was until I began reading what other people have posted on their blogs. I slowly began finding people with the same interests, attitude and the same outlook on life as me. Some have the same occupation and have shared their stories working in different parts of the world. I frequent some people’s blogs regularly now, ever awaiting postings and updates (while waiting for your updates, I busy myself reading previous posts). Keep up the good work and please know: even if you think no one is reading, I bet someone, somewhere is interested.

It’s exhilarating reading other people’s thoughts on interests you have in common. There is such a large and close community out there that reading their posts and writing for them has always been a pleasure. I wish uncle & auntie De, O-K, Ojou and many others would know how fun (and shockingly addictive) blogging is, and I wish they would start blogs of their own. I’d definitely be at least one of the readers.
Even now, I’m still confused and unsure of where I am heading with itchiness.. I guess I will have to let itchiness evolve on its own and let see what happens (but I guarantee it’ll be a journey full of poor grammar, atrocious spelling errors, distasteful videos and arguable reviews :p).

Starting this month I’ve already made several changes to the blog. My sidebar (it took me forever to learn coding html!) now has links to my favourite bloggers, websites & podcasts. Also, at the end of the sidebar please notice a “This Week” section, another thing I learnt (read: copied, ripped off) from Mirkwood. Did you guys notice that the “edit me” link I had for yonks is now gone? That link symbolised the crutches itchiness had taking its first steps, and now the crutches have been removed.

If you are a reader of itchiness, thank you for your readership & I have always appreciated your comments. Please look forward to future postings!

25 comments:

Mama Pongkey said...

Ganbatte, Mynn-san!

I guess it's a different sort of pleasure to read someone's blog when you know them in real life. I am frankly amazed at Mama Sarah's prolificacy. Ganbatte too, Mama Sarah-san!

Re Mama Sarah's lack of pics of herself: hehehe hidden jewel. I'd be a bit uncomfortable knowing my pic is on the net. I did post a profile pic before, but took it off after 5 mins.

Mama Pongkey said...

Hehehe I am a bad influence am I? *hides behind sofa*
Maybe it's time for the Serious KKL to make a reappearance... though I think OK is more enamoured of my fun side. :P'

mynn said...

ditto, sebenarnya, just before i put up the onigiri as my profile picture I had my real pic ... but the thought of my picture appearing EVERY time i answer a comment is just too much. took it off after 5 minutes too.

also -- mama sarah didnt approve of me putting my picture up in the profile (hehehe)

you and o-k are bad influence as your hobbies and interests automatically become my hobbies too.

ps - mama sarah pegi Next Sale esok (pukul 7am dah nak pegi). i kena jaga the little ones lagiii.

Mama Pongkey said...

Next Sale? 7 am?

Now THAT is a bad influence on me!! :)

*consoles myself by saying that tu winterwear sale, not investing anymore money into winter clothes*

Arrgghh this is difficult!!!

The pain, the pain!

Mama Pongkey said...

Couldn't resist had a peek at the Next Website.

I think the only thing I really want is the aubergine long cardigan on page 6. (Okay the denim jacket on page 1 would be nice too but I already have one hehe).

Hehehe.

But since it's already past 7 am and it will take me an hour to get there and I am tired from staying up all night (bar an hour nap) and I am sure people have grabbed whatever they want... the sensible thing to do is really to let go.

*takes deep breath*

I do NOT need an aubergine cardigan (even if it will go well with many outfits).

I do NOT need an aubergine cardigan (even if I have 2 skirts to match with it).

I do NOT need an aubergine cardigan (even though I love the colour and the fruit/veg?).

I do NOT need an aubergine cardigan.

There. All done now.

*resists impulse to tear helter-skelter to the bus stop*

Mama Pongkey said...

I think the time on your comments are still one hour behind.

Not too sure if OK is OK with me putting up pic. I am not OK with it.

I did a google of my name and horror of horrors! Found a pic. Egad.

Our hobbies become your hobbies? Hehehehe. I must find some better ones then. Spread the luurrvve (do you know what OK means by this? Hehehe)

Mama Pongkey said...

Oh yeah methinks you look much better than the pic you put below the onigiri. Somehow I don't think that pic is really you.

mynn said...

Betul ke tak nak pegi next sale ni??? hehehe

i woke up to amar crying, noticed Nisak had already gone!! semangat betul dia nak shopping today. but, as she had been looking after the kids the whole week she deserves a break.

regarding the picture - you mean this? http://utusan.com.my. only joking! didn't put up the complete link. but it IS worrying what you can find on google.

Regarding the time-stamp, I also noticed it's one hour behind so the post above looks funny as i talk about april, but the date is still march (hmm) i hope i've corrected that now, thanks for pointing it out.

About spread the lurrrrve, that's so funny as i'd just used that phrase yesterday as a joke to my friends during lunch! but what i meant by the phrase is abit rude. ehem. what does ikmal mean by "spread the lurvve?"

Regarding the picture, no wonder nisak approved ONLY that particular one!

Mama Pongkey said...

Hehehehe.
Baca tak comment under the pic? Hilarious. I had nothing to do with that. It was composed by my sister 100%. OK was NOT pleased. :D

Hmmm spread the lurvvee... means.. um.. it's a bit impolite to write here. But definitely toilet humour lah. Um, it's got something to do with Kak Ina. And toilets, particularly hers. And bad smells. Geddit?

Re pic: Mama Sarah is a wise woman indeed! :D BTW do you happen to have any of our pics? My harddisk died a couple of years back and I lost everything. Wedding pics, Paris pics, honeymoon pics the whole lot.

*am missing OK loads*

I normally go to the Next sale in pairs. One person to go look for things, while the other queues. Then they swap. Efficient time management!

The last time I went it was snowing.

mynn said...

comment was abit unlike you but i thought it was sleep deprivation!

re the pic, nisak had already put up lots of my pictures on her site so "my limiter has already been broken" LOL:) what a mischevious sister!

we actually have many of your pictures especially those we took when you guys visited. I wouldnt mind emailing them, ada gmail account?

Mama Pongkey said...

Tak faham apa tu limiter. *musykil*

Tak ada gmail. Semua orang yang kata nak invite tak invite2 sampailah sekarang. Dah berkurun lamanya.
Kak Waheedah kata dia nak feel special by depriving me of something :P

I say kan dah kena tulah dah tumpah susu all over my desk pulak tu (nak makan tepi meja orang. meja sendiri tak nak layan. kita kan ada private fridge). Hey tengah makan cereal jangan gelak2 tau.

Hey Kak Waheedah jangan crowd me! Hey tolong dia nak suap orang pulakkkkk heyyy geliiiiiii

Alamak dia nak nangis pulakkkk
*okay Kak Waheedah kata kita fitnah dia. Dia sebenarnya tengah ketawa terbahak-bahak*

Okay dia sudah main jauh2. Kawe ada yahoo though. this nick at yahoo dot com dot my.

Mama Sarah said...

aloooooooooo, assalamualaikum all.

Baru balik ni. hehehe. ntah berapa juta habis ni.

and, aikkss, tiba2 penuh je comment box ni. belum baca dgn penuh perasaan lagi.tp nmpk mcm nama i disebut2.

sat lagi, JAGA you all. i akan balas sebalas-balasnya. be afraid, be very afraid. muahahaha...

mynn said...

Dah balik pun mama sarah! banyak beli barang kat next (she asks me to stress .. most of the stuff are bought for otherpeople.

The kids are sleeping now

And I've resigned to watch the Bleach Special (Bleach 73)- Thanks O-K for recommending!

Anonymous said...

Hi all,

Hmm in the few hours I have been away there have been many postings.. ah well..

Just came back from Kuantan, an old schoolmate was getting married, plus I needed some groceries.

The day was okay but the sun was not always out. Been trying out my camera. Was not really satisfied with any of the shots.

the good thing about being in Kuantan is that there are plenty of books stores and magazine shops. Bought digital photography malaysian edition that had 50 tips to improve my pictures. So yeah.. will be reading through them

hoping that my pics are of good enough quality to share.

Regards

mynn said...

i have also been eyeing photography magazines whenever we visit tesco, but so far i've been successful refraining from buying any.

i think i'll wait until i get a DSLR before i commit to yet a new hobby.

I've started watching the Bleach SP but have yet to finish.

i decide to repartition my C: drive, remember i foolishly installed windows on only 5GB of disk? now the "disk C: is full" message are really beginning to annoy me to the point i have to set it right.

i'm still interested in trying Linux and have decided on the Suse distro. The computing environment is 64 bit, there are so many free and useful software. Can't wait!

mynn said...

ps:

I have a baaaaad feeling about this repartitioning business. so far so good (i'm using acronis partition manager - brilliant software, easy to use) but i just have an unsettled feeling.

hope all goes well!

mynn said...

oh and o-k, please explain to KKL "limiter" to apa. i was referring to Macross Zero, remember when that Zentradi guy released the limiter of his craft to get limitless power (and subsequently died?)

LOL, that's not it.

It means that once a line is crossed, might as well berendam habis2an.

Anonymous said...

Today things are going really2 slow..

Hmm can't wait to go home.

any way, latest dev on the home front. the big-sis (BS) wants to stay at my house. Says that she is afraid that some people may send jin and what not her way.

Oh well. Don't really know about that. The good thing is at least the house will be clean and I need to prepare the PC for her. Create another profile, clean up the room etc.

I want to learn another language. Any good sites to dload the mp3s? Can put it in the car on the way to and from work.

Wasalam

mynn said...

you're in luck my friend, take a look at the last 4 entries under "favourite podcasts" in the sidebar. I've added several podcasts that are excellently produced for learning languages.

As for me, i'm out of luck, like a twisted april fool's joke, everything is going wrong (read: my tv, nisak's phone and my computer) all decided to break down at the same time. maybe i'll detail them later.

So your BS will be staying with you?

And btw - kat mana sekarang ni? because you wrote "can't wait to go home". I thought kat dungun.

Anonymous said...

Ohh.. I see.. so now no TV, no PC and out of luck... hmm..

Nampak gaya the most conducieve atmosphere for study... hehehe

Looks like Sumpahan telah mejadi.. kalau habis exam sure semua okay balik...

Me well, my stuff are okay. The camera is doing fine, the pc now okay, my kaptop still busted but will not buy new one as - no point - my video camera masih cari charger baru.. (man!) and my PDA phone jam so back to using the nokia. I will be concentrating on fixing the phone. I have many things that I need to do with it. Not least is I need the organiser function as I gave my organiser book to budak SPM. Nak buat macam mana.. dia cekup dulu... damn..

this week it is not as busy as last week so I can spend more time reading at night.

Regards

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Electric hair dryers circuit breaker trip doesn't re-set Advanced pilates diagrams honda crv car seat covers Can you drink on lexapro who manufacturers acyclovir http://www.philadelphia-dancing-date.info/Inlinecircuitbreakers.html milk allergy symptom in child Homestead dental insurance

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! dress circa 1850's small business north carolina health insurance tax referendum 301 Ellen tracy blouse Creighton coat of arms Turtleneck sweater bondage winters dress rhinoplasty acne skin care Cellulite nicole kidman

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Leather 26 upholstery chairs Glass shelves Bobs mattresses Compact flash 128 mb activ blue cross blue shield medical insurance

Anonymous said...

valium online buy valium cheap online - 3 5 mg valium