Saturday, April 22, 2006

How to Make Sushi: The Rice

I'm back! and thanks to wireless technology I'm blogging straight from the kitchen.

So firstly, I'm preparing the rice. If you look closely at the picture above, you'll notice there are two types of rice. On the left is Japanese rice, which is shorter and rounder and on the right is Basmati rice which is long and thin. For sushi, we'll be using the Japanese variety of rice.

How to prepare the rice for sushi:
1. Wash the rice using lots of cold water to get rid of dust and most of the smell.
2. Here, I'm using a Phillips non-stick rice cooker. I measure 1 cup of rice and add in water up to the number 1 gauge.

Finding the right balance of water and rice is difficult, and I cannot honestly say my balance is 100% perfect. The balance we want is rice that is not too soggy but not too dry. The shape of the rice must also be preserved, too much water will cause "mushy" rice.
3. Cook the rice as you would normally (read: just press the on button on the rice cooker).
4. While waiting for the rice to cook, lets prepare the vinegar.

 Posted by Picasa