Thursday, March 30, 2006

Chinese Restaurant Night Out Part 2

As promised this is a picture of the night we went out for Thai/Chinese food. The restaurant is somewhere in Rushden and is called Thai Gardens. Despite the name, Chinese & Malaysian food were also served. I was very surprised to see the menu included prestigious Malaysian dishes such as Rendang Ayam, Ikan Stim and Ikan Cili Padi, but I settled on the more multi-cultural Fish with 3 Sauces (can't remember the Thai nomenclature, but the name ended with - Pla). I also had egg fried rice, monk vegetables (which was mushrooms and various vegetables in a garlic/oyster sauce) and green tea. I got to try many other dishes as well since most of my friends ordered either seafood or vegetarian dishes. For desserts I greedily ordered a triple chocolate icecream with creamy coffee. Yum.

Also in the picture are my esteemed team mates or "family" as my Registrar likes to call us. I'm so lucky to work with such a funny, active, fun-loving, friendly, supportive, tea-loving and intelligent group of people that it's a pleasure to go to work everyday.

Sitting at the front to the right is my Registrar, also from Malaysia. He was teaching all of us the right technique of using chopsticks but it was really ironic that while all of us struggled to eat the rice, he was using a spoon! He said eating rice with chopsticks is difficult unless you bring the bowl to your mouth, which would look inappropriate in a proper restaurant. The right way is to eat with a spoon.
Hmmph! All this while I thought there was a secret-special skill that you have to learn to eat rice properly with chopsticks.

Are you guys good with chopsticks? I've always thought I'm not too bad but all this while I've been holding it wrong. The proper way is to immobilise one stick by balancing it on 2 fingers (small and ring finger) and to control the other stick using the remaining three fingers (thumb, index and middle). All this while I've been controlling with 2 fingers (thumb and index) and immobilising with 3, which is more like holding a pencil. I have to say, holding it properly does make things that much easier.

It was a perfect night and the food was delicious. In the picture we were all smiling. But the picture hides the fact that the occasion was actually sad as 3 amongst us are leaving for different hospitals, and that would be the end to our resplendent team, the team of Naseby Ward.

18 comments:

Mama Pongkey said...

I used to cross my chopsticks. But was trained properly by a Chinese friend, can't remember whether it was Szu Shien or Yin Hoong, in primary school.

But of course this doesn't mean that I am good at it :)

mynn said...

apparently, crossing chopsticks is the way they train little kids to use them. (so i heard)

Do the Japanese use chopsticks differently?

Anonymous said...

I never cross my chopsticks.. hehehhe.. takut kalau depa marah..

Still love coffee...

Any way, the other day had dinner with Jimmy and P5. We had meehoon soup ala chinese... looks simple but damn fullfilling. We also added black pepper beef. Wooo... used chopsticks and soup spoon.

Mama Sara dah marah pasal post pics on The Car... aiyaa... susah ler nak ke rumah lagi lepas ni..hehe

So i did the only thing i can do..... Post more pics on flikr!! Hehehe

Mama Pongkey said...

I think this post would've been complete with pictures of the food. Hehehe. It is only recently that I realised it is very uncool to do that, that only the most 'jakun' of tourists take pics of food at restaurants.

I don't care I still want to do it.

mynn said...

mmmm black pepper beef sounds nice. This monday will be Amar's birthday. as you guys could see from the pictures tak de nisak, so i'm thinking probably this weekend i'd bring the family to a chinese restaurant closer to home. Thai Gardens is like 1 hour away. I think ha...err...kenakelayan is right, pictures of the food would make it complete. alas, it wasnt my camera (it's my registrar's).

O-K: i was telling Nisak how i would like a the new honda civic. not the one you have, the one more like ford focus. the modern design one, but smallish.

man, you two are BAD INFLUENCE i tell you. BAD INFLUENCE!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... the Civic Si Coupe, two door. beautiful car.. hhehehe.. but alas.. not sold in Malaysia.. sold in japan and US...

Design wise go for the US version, the european version has a big butt.

Moi.. bad influence... no such thing.. hehe... if anything we are icons of virtue and truth...

So go forth and multiply... hehehe

mynn said...

hehehe ... i dunno if the "go forth and multiply" part is a good idea at this moment O-K.
In terms of the honda civic, yup, the one with the big butt. more and more of the civics are on the road nowadays, the design is so futuristic i bet more and more car manufacturers will start copying.

lajunya you all balas the comments, rasa macam chat on MSN pulak (hehehe) practically real time. macamana korang buat, guna rss agregator ke?

Mama Sarah said...

aik Sir O-K.. when did I marah you pasal post pics on the Car? I cuma kata try to make the kereta disappear. tu je. hehehe.

u guys ni bnyk betul toys. I tak de pun tau! Nak beli moisturiser dermalogica, pun pikir 14 kali.

mynn said...

hey, i tak kisah pun nak belanja you dermatologica bie... kan i suruh "pilih aje" .......

o-k & KKL: our tv baru je rosak ni, kena beli tv baru ni... hehehe, HDTV ke

Mama Pongkey said...

Haaa...

Hari tu OK terpaksa tunggu dekat 4 hours sementara I buat facial dan ntah apa2 pengurutan Dermalogica lagi kat Mesia.

Kalau ikutkan OK, tu the 1st and last time I pergi facial. Cuba you ayatkan OK tu skit! :D

Kalau ikutkan I, hehehe, lepas ni I nak try all-women spa Martha Tilaar dekat City Centre pulak... muahahahaha.

mynn said...

Mama-Sarah tu kena paksa dia utk let loose and enjoy herself. kena paksa utk belanja and treat herself, kalau tak ... tak bergerak asset.

Anonymous said...

Berjimat cermat tu bagus.

Kena build up buffer.

However, ada a few essential items kena jaga

Food, shelter and clothing

Food - kat Msia insyaAllah terjaga
Shelter - I am working on it
Clothing - My wife helps me in this dept.

Other essential items are like

Transportation - That's why I bought the car. In the future I will be driving Kuantan-Kerteh - and where possible this may be daily

Other nice to haves - entertainment - nowadays i don't buy dvd, or go to wayang. Heck i don't even watch tv. So all of this comes from the PC. THat is why I buang astro. Jimat duit sikit. I don't buy DVDs either nowadays so mmg byk jimat. Used to spend RM 200 per month on them.

Another nice to have - camera - but it has kept my imagination alive when I use it. It somehow makes me see the nice things in life. However, my pics are not that good (shaky arms) so I dont post them much. My fav subject matter. Kids

hehehe

So apart from all this I dont really spend at all. I hardly travel, preferring to travel only when paid (ie meeting). This also saves on fuel.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm if i post ni will this be considered as a bad influence?

Me and KKL have discussed this before.

Since I have very little requirement for TV, I am not interested much in buying HDTV or stuff like that. what I am interested in are projectors, in particular the Darckchip 3, DLP projectors.

I figure, the house in Kuantan can use one of these as well as a surround sound system. So I am saving up for this maybe by 2007 or 2008 (most likely 08). I will keep my astro unit just in case the MILFIL comes over and want to watch AFUNDI. hehehe. So all they need to do is bring over their astro card.

For sound system me and Ustaz have gone to look at the Jamo system. It is really really good for movies, but for music may not be too good.

I still have a few years so not too concerned.

Of course all this can change kalau ada anak. Then definitely without a doubt the funds will go to them. Hehehehe. Like I said, all other stuff are nice to haves, our chuldren, well no contest when it comes to resources. ;)

Mama Pongkey said...

:)) I am really pleased that OK has a come a long long way since our marriage, alhamdulillah. Yeah he does splurge, and I know it. But because he is very frugal with his living expenses I tend to give in. Sometimes. Heh. Besides I splurge sometimes too, although not in such a drastic manner. But sometimes you just need to treat yourself. Like the Yo! Sushi the other day. And if I am working and I have no food then I will spend the money to buy food. Because if my not eating properly affects my work, than to save the money is a false economy, ie, I might pay for it with the time I am off sick, like recently.

We don't own a tv anymore.

mynn said...

mmmmm projector.... hehehe

-betul pun bad influence -

speaking of surround sound speakers ... i really have to recommend the B&W MT30 set : http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/label/MT%2D30

take a look, hmmmmmmmm-mmmph I really like the clean design, and especially the spherical woofer. It costs GBP 1500, and i'm not joking, i WANT a set!!! tapi may be tak mampu ... hehehe.

in terms of tengok tv, ditto, i also don't watch much tv anymore. I rely on IPTV and my PC for leisure. BUT for maximum satisfaction watching IPTV, kena lah ada a nice monitor kan? so, what im getting at is: Belilah HDTV boleh sambung kat PC utk view rancangan2 in high resolution.

sekian terima kasih

ps - don't say i didnt warn you hanis, it's dangerous getting the boys together. :D

mynn said...

alamak tersasul nama (sorry!)

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »