Monday, April 24, 2006

Sudoku Fever

This afternoon while at work my mobile suddenly came alive with an incoming call. I get calls during work extremely rarely, only during emergencies or if my parents wanted to get in touch from Malaysia, again only during emergencies.

From the ring tone I could tell it's Mama Sarah calling from home. Worried, I ran to the coffee room to accept the call. And you know what MS had to say?

"Bie, have you read my blog yet today?"

I went: "Lerrrrrrrrr, I thought it was a real emergency!"

She actually wanted to boast about this:
Not GIMPed or Photoshopped this time (unlike the previous post about Uncle De the Sudoku Monster).

It's worrying thinking that the way MS and I exchange our daily stories nowadays are shifting towards reading each other's blogs!

Part 2: Sudoku

It seems that MS and I are both struck with Sudoku fever. I could only compare it with two of my previous puzzle game addictions: the classic Tetris and the excellent Bejewelled.

Sudoku is the game where you place numbers on a 9 x 9 board with one rule: the same number could not be on the same line either horizontally or vertically.

It's scarily addictive. When I play I probably devote 9% of my brain capacity to solve the puzzles. Considering we only use 10% of our brain, I suppose the remaining 1% is used to only maintain my basic physiological functions like keeping my heart going and continuing breathing.

When I play, it's like everything around me disappears and after a while I don't need to count the numbers anymore, I just could kind of "sense" the missing number.

Indeed, very scary.

Despite using almost the full capacity (9%) of my brain, my best score is only 3-4 minutes ;(

Long way to go before I could beat Uncle De (he upgraded his brain to an AMD Athlon FX67, with 1Tb of RAM recently) and Mama Sarah (she has Mangekyou Sharingan), the two Sudoku Monsters.

  1. If you're busy don't click this link! http://www.sudokucraving.com/
  2. Link to Advanced Sudoku Strategies (Thanks alot Uncle De!!! No wonder you're so good)

19 comments:

Mama Sarah said...

Bby, i dah insaf dah. rasa juling dah mata ni. whatever that mangekyou means. didn't make any sense dkt wikipedia.

anyway, dah dapat no.1 spot. cukuplah. as i said in my blog, i nak retire in peace. i've had my few minutes fame already.

Anonymous said...

'When I play, it's like everything around me disappears and after a while I don't need to count the numbers anymore, I just could kind of "sense" the missing number.'

what are you, some kind of sudoku jedi now? obi-wan sudoku. mama sarah pulak jadi darth sudokus.. zhanngggg... zhanngggg...

Anonymous said...

eh, mangekyou tu apa? mangetout tu tau le..

Anonymous said...

hahaha
i dah buat link kat wikipedia about the mangekyou sharingan (otaku joke)

betul aida, cuba you main, lama2 tak payah kira 1-2-3 dah, tengok je dah tau nombor apa missing. tanya uncle de.

Anonymous said...

cut and paste from wikipedia:

A person with the Byakugan can have a 360 degree field of vision, except for a small blind spot behind the first thoracic vertebra (near the back of the neck), which is its only known weakness. Byakugan users can detect anything around them in a 50 meter radius although later on in the manga Hyuga Neji has managed to increase the radius to 800 meters (with the exception of the blindspot) making them close-range combat experts. When the Byakugan is activated, the user can see through most matter over extremely long distances, although this may depend on the individual user, and perceive the Chakra inner coil system, enabling usage of the Jūken (Gentle Fist) to attack said system. Its sight cannot be blocked (unlike the Sharingan, which can even be blocked with a piece of cloth), making it useful for searching, tracking and identifying targets. It has however been impeded slightly by certain powerful seals. If sufficiently developed, the Byakugan is able to see individual tenketsu, potentially allowing the user to shut off the opponent's chakra flow completely, such that the opponent cannot perform techniques that require chakra.

Anonymous said...

sorry to spam your comments box, but unless youve seen this photoblog, then ignore me.
http://www.nikqistifathi.com/pblog/

prolly the best non-professional photoblog i have come across. fourth yr med student at notts uni. and part of the reason why i like his photoblog is because he does have a sense of humour, apart from the the cool pictures!

Mama Pongkey said...

Wehh..

Mangekyou sharingan is a high level version of the Sharingan(generally members of the Uchiha clan), not Byakugan (members of the Hyuuga clan). Known possessors of the Mangekyou Sharingan are Uchiha Itachi and Hatake Kakashi.

The Sharingan incidentally is derived from the Byakugan, from a long-ago Hyuuga who defected from the clan and founded the Uchiha clan. They remain rivals to this day.

(:P I am such an otaku!!!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks auntie de, I always like it when someone suggests something new, so keep the suggestions & links coming!

I've taken a look, and wow, very nice, artful, trippy pictures. I've had a look of what equiptment he's using:
Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL - 35 mm - f 4.5 - 1/40 sec - 100 iso <<-- cut and paste

macam kenal je a few faces in the pictures.

I don't really endorse the rock and roll stuff, but aside of that there are quite a few interesting pictures ... so i'm putting a link on my blog under "photo galleries"

photo blogging mcm cool eh? you guys should start one ... then uncle de tak payah tulis apa2 ;)

Anonymous said...

KKL, i know byakugan and sharingan are two different but related blood-line techniques, but I cut & pasted the above because:
1. the statement "sharingan is more powerful than byakugan"
2. i like the part where it explains "360 degree vision"

sometimes i really think that nisak indeed has 360 degree vision or a tsukuyomi mangekyou sharingan.

Anonymous said...

nisak has 360 degrees vision? tee hee hee... i was about to say something but nvm

ill let you both throw in some more japanese jargon then.. to me mangetout is still mangetout, and im still none the wiser ;P

mynn said...

hey, cakap je lah auntie de ... dont worry i'll delete your comment if considered >18.

(only joking about deleting the comment)

Mama Pongkey said...

:) Oh ye ke? Hehehe... I am glad I am not the only otaku! :D

I think all mothers have 360 degree vision anyway... but woe betide the mum who has the mangekyou sharingan!!!

(I wanna have these too...:))

Anonymous said...

KKL
i hope you didn't write sentence from memory:

Mangekyou sharingan is a high level version of the Sharingan(generally members of the Uchiha clan), not Byakugan (members of the Hyuuga clan). Known possessors of the Mangekyou Sharingan are Uchiha Itachi and Hatake Kakashi.

The Sharingan incidentally is derived from the Byakugan, from a long-ago Hyuuga who defected from the clan and founded the Uchiha clan. They remain rivals to this day.


if you did ... you are such an otaku!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(otaku = anime geek = KKL)

Mama Sarah said...

oiii mentang2 lah i tidur awal semalam. just to regain my mangkeyouness, sedap je nama ku disebut2 yea?

patutlah tak lena tidur. sampai termimpi-mimpi buat blog semalam hah.

KKL dah baik from splitting headache ke?

amboi auntie de, zhaannngggg zhaaannggg zhaaanngggg. surround sound tak bunyi?

Mama Pongkey said...

Mama Sarah and Mynn

I think the splitting headache damaged my brain in more was than one. But yes thank you Mama Sarah I am all better, but 1 day of work wasted.

And yes, I did write that on the fly..

Eeeeekkkkkk I am an anime geek!!!

Mama Sarah said...

auntie de nak ckp apa tu, lupa nak tanya!!

and btw, what has 360degrees vision got to do with sudoku ah bby?

glad to hear you're better KKL. better jaga makan minum and tidur.

Mama Pongkey said...

Hehehe

Nak balik tidur. Last night stayed here till 4.30 am, but was up by 10 am. Have been at work since 12. Am so worn out.

mynn said...

I pun demam hari ni KKL, throat hurts, sniffling constantly, headache, and i feel rough.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »