Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Behind the Scenes: Making Sushi for the Pot-Luck

Fillings for the sushi: Shitake mushrooms, cucumber, peppers in 3 colours, (not in picture) smoked salmon and rolled egg


Topic 1: Target Readers

Alarmingly, an increasing number of my work mates are starting to become aware of my blog and worryingly, some are starting to read it.

Yesterday during lunch time, a colleague came up to me saying she has been reading my blog, especially the "pink shirt" post. She said she was anticipating what I'd write next. My team mates are also aware of my blog, although, I doubt they'll read it regularly. At least, I'm very happy they consented to their pictures being posted. Infact, today they even suggested a few posts based on the jokes they were making! Unfortunately, due to the inappropriate nature of the joke, I think it's probably not suitable for Itchiness (Sorry guys! I may rethink and post it up later). Some are even promoting the blog to other people working in the hospital, something I really want to discourage.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that, it's disconcerting knowing people you know at work are reading what you are thinking and writing. I used to think my blog would be the place that I could write about anything and everything I feel like (and at times moan about people you work with). Being aware of my colleagues reading this post makes me feel like holding back on what I really want to say. We'll see how it goes. Probably if I have to write about something personal, I'll switch to another language. However, I've just realised how appalling my written Malay language/Bahasa Malaysia/Bahasa Melayu (what is the correct term nowadays?) is, huuu;( My BM certainly would not be fit for writing on this blog (but please don't mock it! I got excellent grades for BM in SPM. My written BM is just "rusty" that's all).

And if you are someone from work reading this: do leave comments, I really enjoy reading them :)

Topic 2: Wisecracks
I'm still being teased at work! My colleagues are still teasing me about "past things" but they were also creating things on the go and teasing me about having a blog. I know, they probably don't mean what they say, but most times I find it hard to come up with clever things to parry the insults with.

Last night at the potluck, my team mates were saying; the fact that I only smile and keep quiet makes it seem as if I am validating what people are saying about me, and that I should retaliate to keep negative ideas at bay. They also helped me come up with retorts and I appreciate it. Thanks team.

To be honest, I don't really mind being teased, as long as it's on a subject I approve. Some people DO go overboard, and may create the wrong idea in people listening. The second kind of teasing would be the kind I have to curb.

Topic 3: Flat Sushi
Now to the main topic. I really wanted to share my experiences with the Pot-Luck last night.

I finished work at 5pm, and for the pot-luck I was planning to make sushi. Infact, over the weekend I had been practising to make sure my abilities have not dulled. The Pot-Luck was at 7.30pm, and the SHO was going to pick us up. That meant I had to prepare the sushi within a tight timeframe!

I was quite worried:
  1. As Mama Sarah had hinted on her blog, it takes me hours to prepare sushi (but the weekend shouldn't count, I was blogging while cooking, something I find extremely difficult due to my lack of multitasking talent).
  2. I was cooking in my flat, without the non-stick pan, the non-stick rice cooker, without salt, sugar nor the proper utensils.
  3. I didn't know whether my friends would like sushi or not.

As you could imagine, cooking in the flat was quite a disaster! My rolled egg got burnt, I slightly overestimated the amount of water to go with the rice and I didn't have any salt. I also forgot to bring soy sauce.

I cooked in the flat with all the windows WIDE open (hoping not to set off the alarm, and not to annoy my flatmate). I also had my laptop in the kitchen to entertain me. I don't know how I did it, but the 2 hours we were allowed was enough. Everything was ready just in time.

Thank goodness my friends who probably have never tasted home made sushi yet alone know what a poor rendition of my sushi tasted like were totally oblivious to the fact that the sushi was a slight disaster. Infact, they seemed to really enjoy eating it.

I was extremely relieved.

Umaku ikimashita shi, totemo yokatta desu.

6 comments:

dith said...

So how did your colleagues come to 'sniff' this blog, may I ask? :p

I would feel the same way if my colleagues discover my blog too! Not that I blog much about them or my work though. But still I'd feel uneasy if I knew they read what I wrote. But then again, in retrospect, they might view me differently and more positively if they did read it and this could enhance our camaraderie.

dyanna said...

if my work colleague discovered my blog.. life would never be the same again, NOOOO!! (*Over the top sungguh..)
Actually, tak kisah coz I rarely blog about my working life. Plus, I'd like to stay anonymous just-in-case my boss accidentally stumbled upon it and found out I'm typing my entry in my work station/cubicle. (maknanya, dia pun tak de keje jugak sbb dok browse blogs)..

mynn said...

dith
the hint of how my friends discovered my blog is in dyanna's entry "typing my entry at work" bit.

there's such a duality to blogging isn't there? for example, i know i'm putting my entries & pictures on the internet where EVERYONE could potentially read or see but knowing some people you know are reading, just doesn't make you feel like writing the same things.

actually, i also try to minimise writing about work, eventhough before i really wanted to share a few interesting cases (contohnya, buat lumbar puncture, central line and a recent case of chikungunya fever). however, just incase i would leak sensitive information by mistake i refrained myself. once, i wanted to put up an xray, but thought against it.

i cant help writing about my friends at work though, especially when funny things happen. lagipun hopefully no sensitive information, just bruised pride..

:)

Anonymous said...

mynn, its okay if your written malay is a bit rusty, asalkan your readers know what youre getting at sudahlah. we dont need prosa klasik u know..

mynn said...

hehehe ...
thanks auntie de ... nanti i tulis post in malay ... sure kelakar!

eh kawan lama kita fendi jumpa blog ni.

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... pda pocket pc Degrees+online+in+13+months Gebrauchte vw t3 benziner literotica Battery operated bathroom sanitizers acura Audio surveillance for kids home alone names domain Where is the lcd illumination relay packages cruise Compare faucet kitchen Odd business card Fonofpeepysforum q answering machine download nexium testimony debt consolidation help Chrysler golf cars Japanese erotic story Parker arizona boat rental face lift oxygen http://www.dry-skin-care-2.info