Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Impression: Using Portable Firefox

I am not in the closet (ok bad start) make no secret that I love Firefox, the superior internet browser. Today at work, I experimented using Portable Firefox, a USB-installable version of the browser. Installation of Portable Firefox was as easy as unzipping the install file onto my 500MB USB thumb drive. I also pre-installed my favourite extension - All-in-one-Gestures.

The PCs I use at work have Windows NT, Internet Explorer 5.5, and do not allow Flash or Shockwave, so you can see why I'm left wanting. Launching Portable Firefox was simple, I only had to plug in my drive and double click the icon on my USB drive folder.

I have to say, Portable Firefox works like a charm. Everything worked fine: tabbed browsing, middle clicks, mouse gestures, extensions and even installation of new extensions (I installed another favourite of mine - Forecastfox at work with no hitch). Portable Firefox rendered web pages noticably faster than Internet Explorer. The icing on the cake was that I was able to view Flash and Shockwave again, important for viewing my favourite Youtube videos;)

Portable Firefox does not need administrator previleges to work, so I hope the IT administrators at work wouldn't mind.

My only complaint is that there's a slight delay of several seconds before Portable Firefox lauches after clicking its icon, but after weighing in all the benefits, I wouldn't settle for anything less.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds good!

Anonymous said...

it doesnt only sound good crimson, it really works. So far i've tried firefox & vlcplayer. Vlcplayer also works absolutely fine, I was able to watch DVDs, divx, and xvid exactly like the non-portable one.

seriously everyone has to try these portable apps.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »