Saturday, April 22, 2006

How to Make Sushi: The Vinegar

Once the rice is cooked, place in an open plate and add the vinegar mixture (I’ll explain how to make the vinegar later). Mix the rice and the vinegar well, but not vigorously as not to destroy the rice’s texture.

The rice is now let to cool and cooling is aided by fanning over the rice.

Here is how to make the vinegar mixture:

150 mls of rice vinegar

1 tablespoon of sugar

1 heaped teaspoon of salt

The ratios of vinegar-to-salt-to-sugar is extremely important, and I’ve read in Japan, whether a restaurant is successful or not depends hugely on the taste of the vinegar mixture.

Above is my personal ratio, although by no means perfect. I’m still constantly micro-tweaking to find the best taste.


Now, heat the vinegar in a saucepan over a medium fire, and reduce the volume to one-third. Once the vinegar is thick and syrupy, put aside to cool.

Next: How to make rolled egg.

3 comments:

dith said...

Mynn- I have a confession...all this while when I see your profile icon (the pic of sushi) I thought it was the barrister headgear!!! Until a week ago when I enlarged the icon, I realized it was a sushi!! heheh

*this must be the sign of old age,hehe*
Kena buat lebih banyak Sudoku!

mynn said...

DITH sampai hati! oh man, that felt like a knife through the heart ...

only joking, of course tak ambik hati.

mental note to self: time to change our profile icon, stat!

mental note to DITH: that, lots of sudoku and consider glasses! (that makes the two of us)

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »