Thursday, April 27, 2006

Software Impressions: Virtual Dimension


Have you ever felt flustered from having too many windows open while working on your PC? (imagine multi-tasking by opening 7 browser windows, MS Word, iTunes and Picasa all at once). Your screen would be less cluttered if for example, all the browsers are grouped into one desktop, the Word document in another, and iTunes in another.

Virtual Dimension offers to do just that, organise and group windows onto several desktops. It is an open-source, free, virtual desktop manager for Windows, and features:
  • Unlimited number of desktops
  • Set a different wallpaper, name and background colour to each desktop
  • Customisable shortcuts
  • Ability to move a window from one desktop to another
I've tried the software today and I find:
  • The software size is extremely small
  • Minimal CPU usage
  • Fast
  • Very convenient to use, I assigned one desktop for myself, and one for Mama Sarah (useful when we are sharing the PC)
  • I like the way each desktop could be given individual names and wallpapers (seperate wallpapers for Mama Sarah and I)
For all multi-taskers out there: definitely worth a try.

Link to Virtual Dimension's download page
via lifehacker

4 comments:

mynn said...

urm, just in case you guys are wondering, NO that's not a screen capture of my desktop! it's the official screen capture from the site.

Mama Pongkey said...

:D I was just about to ask that very question!

Am now enjoying tlife with a clutter-free desktop (no icons at all, not even the recycle bin etc.). I like it very much indeed, although this tool does intrigue me...

Anonymous said...

"Just buy a second monitor (and a graphics card that supports dual display)"

mynn said...

KKL, hey, i'm not that sad you know. no way my desktop will have an anime character! much to old for that already. How do you cope with no icons at all???

buat apa weekend ni KKL, busy?