Sunday, April 16, 2006

Portable Office

The barebones PCs I use at work are slim in terms of applications and are therefore far from optimum for my use. The operating system is WindowsNT an the only available browser is Internet Explorer, and there's not much else. I find myself missing my PC at home with Firefox and all its tabbed browsing goodness.

Enter portableapps.com, a site where you can find portable apps (portable programs that could be installed onto for example a USB drive or an iPod). Imagine carrying all your favourite applications in your pocket to be used in any PC with a USB port, complete with personalised settings.

Excerpt from portableapps.com:

Consider the Possibilities...

  • Carry your web browser with all your favorite bookmarks
  • Carry your calendar with all your appointments
  • Carry your email client with all your contacts and settings
  • Carry your instant messenger and your buddy list
  • Carry your whole office suite along with your documents and presentations
  • Carry your antivirus program and other computer utilities
  • Carry all your important passwords and account information securely

This week I plan to fill my 500Mb USB stick with these portable apps:
I'll give an impression of using these portable apps in a future post.
Link to portableapps.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only they have portable Picasa2, i'd be so happy

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »