Saturday, April 08, 2006

One week of Linux: OpenSuse

As of this weekend, it has already been one week since I installed OpenSuse Linux on my PC. I use a dual-boot install sharing it with WinXP. Last week I was impressed with the the installation and thought it went smoothly and was relatively painless.

One week after using Linux, here are my impressions:

Positives:
  1. I like how so much software is bundled and how complete the software range is.
  2. I could access my Windows partition, so I could view pictures and (in theory) video files from other OS partitions.
  3. The desktop & interface is just pretty and so different, it's nice to use.
Negatives:
  1. Additional software is SO hard to install. Infact, I haven't been successful in installing anything yet. In Windows, installing a software is as easy as double clicking an exe file. In Linux you have to "recompile bla-bla-bla", it gets very technical... (read: difficult).
  2. Windows XP (so far) seems faster, more streamlined and more complete.
  3. I could not watch my movie files! A few codecs has to be installed and I have to do more research to find out how. No Divx, no DVD = no Linux!
  4. Using software like OpenOffice as a replacement to Word need some getting used to.
  5. I miss using software i'm used to, like Picasa and iTunes (but that's just me).
Overall, although OpenSuse looks slightly like WinXP, it's like using alien technology. Everything just works and acts differently it's quite difficult for a beginner like me.

Coincidentally, last week's DLTV topic was OpenSuse. Here's what Patrick Norton & Robert Heron had to say in their (excellent) videocast regarding OpenSuse:

"A pleasure to use"
"I'm going to continue using it"
"If you are used to installing windows [OpenSuse] is much easier [to install]"

So they really like OpenSuse. I've learnt a few things from the video: things like using Yast! to get codecs and more software. That'll be my project this weekend...

You can find or download the videocast here.

DLTV link
ps: Nisak is saying I should post this logo on my site (my site is definitely getting veeeery geeky isn't it??) ;(