Sunday, April 02, 2006

April Fool's Joke


Part 1: April Fool's

There were a fewApril Fool's jokes that were funny yesterday. For example, Google announced a Google Romance beta with their patented SoulMate Search (TM) and Gamespot announced World of Starcraft. LOL.


But, what happened to me was definitely not funny! As if a victim of a series of twisted April Fool's prank, everything important I have had suddenly stopped working! For one, our TV which we had for 5 years has stopped switching on. And then, and brilliant idea I had to re-partition all my disk drives resulted in a complete wipe out of ALL my data files, including the stuff in other disks. That's 200GB of data ladies and gentleman! NOT FUNNY. To add to the insult, Nisak's mobile, a Sony Ericsson K750 refused to function or be charged.


I am completely frustrated. The TV is now cast aside to a shadowy corner of our house, too old to be financially viable for repair. As for Nisak's phone, after a bit of tinkering, surprisingly it began to work again and I'd even asked Nisak to look for a new one. Finally, it couldn't be helped, I had to yet again, reinstall WinXP.


After having to reinstall WinXP so many times over the course of 2 weeks, there are a few lessons I've learnt (the hard way):


  1. Installing WinXP on only 5GB of disk space is a BAD idea. WinXP needs lots of disk space to expand. As you all know, there are 2 main Service Packs required to patch all the previous vulnerabilities and don't be surprised if this takes a few Gbs of disk space. Furthermore, installing programs are probably more convenient if stored under the windows\programs folder.

  2. Backup, backup, backup, backup, backup data!

  3. ... and don't forget to defragment the hard drive once in awhile. Apparently, it doesn't really improve performance all that much, but it does help if a recovery is to be attempted when the data are all wiped out.
  4. It's not a good idea to play around with Windows partitioning when you're busy. Best to do it after the exams.


Part 2: OpenSuse Linux

Reinstalling the nth time was not as painful as it sounds. As I'd done it so many times now, I have all the driver discs and floppies organized in a tiny box. (To you young ones: a “floppy” pronounced floh-puh-ee is an arcane, obsolete, abandoned technology used to store absurdly tiny amounts of data, unsecurely. Thank goodness the technology has been currently superseded by flash and optical media. Holographic drives are coming soon, maybe). Installing everything is now close to clorkwork to me.


What was painful, however, is undoing all the partitions fragmented across 200Gb.


With much labour, now my hard disk is better organised with:

  1. 25Gb for WinXP

  2. 10Gb for Linux

  3. 75Gb for Organised Data

  4. 75Gb for Chaotic Data (yet to be organised)

  5. (yeah, I know, the above doesn't add up to200Gb and I don't know where the rest has gone)


Did I mention I'm now typing this on the Linux system. Thanks O-K for suggesting this, I chose to install OpenSuse Linux. Seriously guys, if you are a beginner, and would like to try Linux, use OpenSuse. The installation was superfluous, and I had only minimal fuss. What's so great was, the installer automagically tailored the system files of WinXP and allowed double booting, so it's a synch to load into either Suse, or WinXP. Also, the installer not only automagically loaded ALL THE DRIVERS necessary for display, audio and networking, but it also downloaded all the latest patches and upgrades during installation. Now, why can't Windows do that???


My friends if you want to try an alternative operating system, or you can't afford to buy WinXP or you have and old computer you want to re-use, give OpenSuse a go. It's easy to install, it looks pretty, and it's pre-installed with software for practically everything: Firefox browser, audio, DVD & video player, bittorrent, photo-manipulation, games and much more.


Here's the kicker: it's all free!


Part 3: A happy ending

The souls of my lost data must be crying in data heaven right now, but I've come to terms with it. My Windows XP is freshly installed, I'm happy with the new partition system, and it double boots nicely with OpenSuse. After wanting to try Linux for SO long, I'm finally able to.


That's what I call a happy ending ... or should I say, a happy beginning?


p/s – anyone has any suggestions for a HDTV?;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Hmm it seems you had a good result at the end. May the experience make you stronger.

Me well i have two hd... one is 80 GB the other is 200 GB.

The 80 GB is partitioned to three, 20:30:30. 20 is for Windows.

The 200GB hdisk is totally data ie anime and series + movies

I am still thinking of going to the projector route. DLP not LCD.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/


My april fools was not as eventful. Further, this week has been terribly slow for some reason. I feel really2 bored aqt work... no one is giving me any real work so I am starting to do things on my own... sigh..

I have arranged to have classes next week everyday to learn about the plant.

other than that drinking lavazza hehehe...

Regards

Anonymous said...

www.projectorreviews.com

Anonymous said...

Not feeling really happy at the moment

Had a terrible dinner. The mee was too salty could not eat. The soup was the same. Felt like I was drinking the ocean. Yukss...

Paid the bill, complained to the owner and left.

Now my mouth feels dry, my head feels heavy.

The worse part I am still hungry as i could not eat the food, but too tired to go someplace else. Before dinner I had to make a choice, to go for the western (KFC) or go for a proper meal. Decided to go healthy, mee and soup..what a bad #$%#%#%# idea that turned out to be. Wallet lighter, head heavy, stomach growling. Man.... It really does suck here... suckier than an industrial vacuum cleaner going at full blast.

So going to make myself a drink and go to sleep...

Regards

mynn said...

I'm quite enjoying experimenting with linux, but i'm nowhere close to enjoying the full benefits yet. for example, i don't even know how to install a program! and i don't know how to make divx work (if it is at all able).

another issue is, working in linux, i miss programs i've accustomed to using, like picasa and itunes.

re: projectors
Nowadays they are talking about High Definition projectors, and i agree it's cool to have one. tapi lagi mahal than an LCD HDTV kan? one thing i don't like about projectors is that contrast during daylight is poor.

In the end, i don't know whether i'd be buying a new tv this year ... we've grown accustomed to the small 14 inch tv we're currently substituting for the big one:) since nisak doesn't mind, and i don't really watch much tv everyone seems to be happy.

HDTV maybe i'll consider in the year 2007-2008 when i can get a 37 inch one for around GBP 800;)

Anonymous said...

What a great site » »

Anonymous said...

What a great site National car rental ga