Opera, the excellent, free but non Open Source web browser alternative to Firefox was recently upgraded to version 9 with a slew of new cutting edge features to better compete with IE7 and Firefox 2.0.
- Widgets (*rolls eyes upwards*)
- Bittorrent support. An external Bittorrent client is no longer needed to participate in torrenting.
- Thumbnail previews. Hovering your mouse over a tab would give a preview of the web page it contains.
- Site preferences. This is a very good feature: allow or deny cookies, pop-ups and scripting on a site-to-site basis.
Personally, I do not care much about the Widgets features as so far I'm already using Yahoo's excellent Widget Engine (aka Konfabulator) and also shutting down Google's Desktop's attempt to populate my desktop with its Gadgets.
However, I do love the fact that Opera installs nicely in SUSE Linux, and is currently my browser of choice in Linux(*).
- Another review of Opera: Link
- Download: Link
- Features Overview: Link
- and yet another review: Link
- 30 days to becoming an Opera Lover: Link