Friday, March 24, 2006

Movie Review: Memoirs of a Geisha

“Have you ever heard about the cave and the eel? There are times when a man’s eel wants to visit a woman’s cave” – Mameha (Michelle Yeoh) in Memoirs of a Geisha.

*giggle*giggle*

Urgh, you can tell from my intro paragraph that this is going to be a poorly written, uncultured review of the latest movie I’ve had the pleasure to see; Memoirs of a Geisha. Written, directed and produced by Western personalities, I was amazed at how this movie succeeded in capturing that elusive “soul” of the East on film, something that I think is lost in The Last Samurai but present in Lost in Translation, another movie I admire.

I wonder how Arthur Golden, writer of the book this movie was based on, had so much insight into Japan, the culture and Geishas. The movie goes into so much depth that it’s hard to believe it’s not written by a true geisha (say what?!) and has made me yearn so much to read the book! Something I unfortunately have to delay until after my exams…

Memoirs is simply one of the most beautiful movie I’ve yet seen this year. The Japanese gardens, sakura orchards, the interiors and architecture are delicately and beautifully portrayed. It reminds me of what a beautiful country Japan is and how I would sooooo like to visit one day! I was delighted watching the talented young actress Suzuka Ohgo as the child Chiyo, showing a wealth of subtle emotions through her eyes. The main characters, played by Zhang Ziyi, Michelle Yeoh and Ken Watanabe are all superlatively carried. Zhang Ziyi is a pleasure to see, she is amazing in the well choreographed dance scenes. It’s funny, but it made me proud to see Eastern actresses and actors showing so much talent in this Hollywood movie. I hope we’ll get to see them in more movies in the future. I also loved the cello solo, performed by Yo-Mama, which features prominently as the musical theme. It’s beautiful yet slightly sad and haunting, perhaps reflecting how the life of a Geisha may appear elegant but carries the sadness of inexpressible love.

My verdict is: 4/5 – recommended to all of you for the beauty of the scenes, well played characters, the haunting cello soundtrack, and the deep insight into how the world revolves while Japan evolved in the eyes of a Geisha.

I’ll be first in line when this movie comes out in HD.

Picture: The young but talented Suzuka Ohgo.