Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tea, a pursuit of perfection

I simply love tea. I’m ashamed to admit I’m probably a tea addict. In a day I would probably have a minimum of 5 cups of tea (morning, afternoon, back from work, dinner and then bedtime). I’m actually trying to cut back, by drinking just plain hot water but so far I’m only moderately successful. Nothing beats that perfect cup of tea.

Not many people know this but; there’s actually a proper way to make tea. So how could we make that perfect cup? Well:

  1. “The first tea bag is always the best”. I find tea tastes its best when I have just opened that new pack. To maintain the tea’s freshness, I normally keep them in an airtight container.
  2. The water has to be boiling hot. Tea leaves brews best when the water is at 100 degrees (In contrast, for coffee, boiling water will scald the beans and decrease the flavour). Some people argue that different types of tea have different optimum temperatures in which they brew best, so it’s best to experiment.
  3. After pouring boiling water, leave the tea to brew. Tea leaves releases its flavours after brewing for 2-3 minutes. However, brewing the tea for more than 4 minutes will release bitter tannins and should be avoided. I find brewing tea for around 1-2 minute would give me the right balance between thinness and flavour.
  4. Lastly, add milk and sugar to taste. Try tea without sugar as sugar tastes quite strong and masks the flavour of the tea. Milk also masks tea but personally I love just slightly less than “too much” of milk. I know of friends who takes their tea with half a cup of milk (should I say, take their milk with tea) and some take their sugar with milk: 7 teaspoons of sugar, in one small cup of tea!

For extra geekiness in making tea, some of my friends (but not me!!!) would:

  1. Warm up the teapot or teacup with boiling water beforehand.
  2. Warm the milk before adding it to the tea.

The best everyday tea I recommend, in order of preference, are:

  1. Twinning’s Assam tea. I first had this for breakfast while I was staying in Morriston Hospital for a clinical attachment.
  2. Tea Direct, a free-trade tea I discovered served in Costa Coffee, that day when Dyanna visited.
  1. PG tips special blend limited edition tea, a blend to commemorate 75 years of the company. I was attracted to this tea because it was packaged beautfully in gold (paper), and had the words “limited edition”. I discovered this tea while shopping in Tescos.
  2. Tetley’s tea, my all time favourite as I’ve stuck with this brand for 6 years now. This is my everyday and “for all occasions” tea.
  3. Twinnings tea.

Typhoo, Marks and Spencer’s Assam tea, and Sainsbury’s Gold Blend are also worth a try.

Tea would taste so distinctive, that I would normally remember when, and at what place I’ve tasted the tea. All tea tastes different and I find, tea tastes uniquely depending on who makes the cup. So it’s nice to experiment not only with different types of tea but with different people to prepare the tea.

A perfect cup of tea is what it takes to enliven a weary body, soothe an angry heart, or to calm a cluttered mind. No wonder in Japan, mastering the tea ceremony may take a whole lifetime.

Link to the controversial video

Disclaimer:If you are very pure of heart and gets offended with general rudeness and swear words, please DO NOT click the link. Otherwise, yes, it's quite funny.

.



12 comments:

Mama Pongkey said...

oh-kayyy..

hehehe swearing aside, it is actually quite funny.

and i swear i have a photo at that very spot in front of King's College (ithink it was)!

We love Yorkshire Tea, the Hard Water version. We have the gold blend but, eh, we don't like it.

A firm fave is Lady Grey. I also like mint tea with real tea leaves.

I also like less milk in my tea, ad 1.5 teaspoons of sugar.

mynn said...

Sorry about all the swearing in the video, but I thought it was relevant to the blog and it tells about UK too.

In the post I only talk about red tea (akai ocha), I haven't made my mind about green tea yet, but my favourite green is jasmine.

Guys, if you have a favourite tea please give suggestions and we'll try it out!

mynn said...

urm, i decided to remove the video after further thought. the swearing is a bit distasteful.

I've also finally chosen a profile picture, not entirely happy with it yet, but those who love anime may know the extra message behind onigiri:)

dyanna said...

Tea with milk and no sugar is sooo British-like.
You can't beat tea with milk and high content of sugar in Msia's teh tarik.. it'll take you straight to the hospital (for heart attack and diabeter of course) :)

dyanna said...

diabetes.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.. yummy.. .nothing beats a good cuppa........coffee.. hehehe

I am addicted to coffee... the bitter the better..

sugar who cares.. give me that caffiene rush anytime..

yummy...

Why do you think my car is black.. with black leather seats.. hahaha.. so when I spill coffee in my car it will not show up.

Mama Sarah said...

Oii O-K!

The day you left a message about your Car, Mynn said, "Jom kita beli Honda jugak" with drools all over himself. Aduhh..

mynn said...

Dyanna - didn't know you were reading! hope you didnt mind i put your name up there. but it's true, since costa with you and Nisak last time you visited coventry, tea-direct has been my favourite tea.

O-K - I used to like coffee but somehow nowadays I couldnt stomach it anymore. however, favourite coffee is: winter -- caramel machiato, summer -- mocha frappucino :):)

Anonymous said...

Curren fav coffee..

Kemaman Kopitiam... yummy vietnamese coffee.. far better than Starbucks drivel that they sell.

Costas is far better than SBuck any way.. I wonder why they dont have a coffee shop called Apollo or Adama?

mynn said...

I agree with you O-K Costa is better than starbucks. Unfortunately in our city the only coffee shop used to be on top of a book store, and it was a really222 small Costa, packed over the weekends.

NOW though, we have starbucks only 5 minutes away from where we live, a big one at that. so although i agree Costa's coffee is much better, starbucks gets our weekend visit.

Tak miss ke kopi kat sini O-K? tapi kopi kat malaysia lagi murah & in some ways lagi sedap

Mama Pongkey said...

Have anyone of you tried Costa's Chocolissimo! Mmmm, pure chocolate heaven!

mynn said...

We have! the chocolissimo is the hot chocolate drink where they give you an extra chocolate swizzle stick to melt in your cup. It's bliss! (mama sarah's favourite, i'm more of a coffee/tea drinker:p