Sunday, March 26, 2006

Success! I'm using Linux (NOT!!!)

There were some Hoary (hehehe) moments, but I've finally managed to install ubuntu linux on my computer, straight after reinstalling windows XP. I've re-re-reinstalled XP so many times now that today's session was relatively painless. Everything seems to be working fine now, however a few things I hoped to do was useless. For example, I did manage to set up a basic account to use instead of an administrator account, however, I found that in the basic account, some programs didn't work. The hiccups made me rethink (by "rethink" I meant "abandon")this strategy.

But I'm pleased most other things I planned worked:

1. I installed XP on only a 5Gb partition, in the hopes that if I have to re-install, I only have to destroy 5Gb worth of data (instead of 200GB)
2. I've managed to make another 5Gb partition and installed ubuntu linux (click picture above for more info).

I was surprised how relatively painless it was, although I almost had a heart attack (unstable angina, hehehe) just waiting through the install screen as everything seemed so alien. But now, I'm actually writing this blog on my new linux system. And I have to say, so far I'm really happy with it. I'm still playing around with all the available software. It's cool that Firefox (my favouritest browser) and openoffice (a Microsoft Office alternative) is bundled. I was so surprised that ubuntu managed to auto-detect all my network settings so I was able to connect to the internet from the get go.

If any of you guys know more about linux, and would like to share, do email me or leave comments. I would like to know of any useful/cool software available for me to try.

I hope all goes well ...

Update:
Alas, everything ended up in disaster. While installing linux, apparently I had overwritten the Master Boot Record, so WinXP wouldn't even start! In the end I had to REINSTALL XP again last night, I finally finished at 5.30 this morning ... so tired now. Another thing is; I'm starting to think it's a baaaad idea to install WinXP on only 5Gb of disk space as it's fast running out! Oh well, next re-install I'll rectify all that.

6 comments:

mynn said...

oh no, what a disaster! I think i've accidentaly overwritten my Master Boot Record (MBR) while installing the blasted linux and that means my system cannot login into the winXP anymore at all!!!

that means another reinstall of XP;(

It's too late, and i'm too tired ...

Boy was i right when i said "there goes my weekend"!

Mama Pongkey said...

Oh dear I really don't understand this computerspeak gobbledygook.

I will just extend my sympathy then. Hope you sort out everything soon.

Am still in office. Clocks go forward an hour today. I am beginning to hate anything to do with fluorescence.

I think I will give OK a call to see how he is doing.

Mama Pongkey said...

Wargh I have a rival for my affections!

OK was too busy driving around to talk to me, and he had Ustaz sticking his head out the window looking at the tyres as they drive along. They both claim they got a lot of exercise driving around today, calories which they are going to immediately replace during breakfast in a short while.

I am SOO going to commandeer that car when I get my hands on it. Or get him to buy me one of those sweet minis, like in Italian Job (yeah haha with what money?). In matching black, of course.

mynn said...

All the computer babble could be summarised to just a few words kenakelayan: total disaster!

In the end I finished at 5.30 this morning. I wish not to do this again in the near future, what a waste of a whole day! I'm not going to play around with linux for a while. tunggu when i have more free time.

If anyone has any ideas how to dual-boot linux and WinXP properly, do let me know!

Anonymous said...

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/Question_about_dual_booting_WinXp_pro_and_Linux_t31108.html

Anonymous said...

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/Question_about_dual_booting_WinXp_pro_and_Linux_t31108.html